Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday, or: Home made vegetarian

I realize now I should've taken pictures of them while I was making them, butttt

I just made some delicious veggie burgers.

Ingredients are:

1.5 cup Rolled oats
(toasted for a few minutes in the oven)


Half an onion, diced
1.5 cups mushrooms
one clove chopped garlic
(sauteed in a small pan in butter, until the onions changed color and the mushrooms were soft, but not too small)

1/2 container firm tofu
1 cup pinto beans
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
A sprinkling of crushed red peppers
(mashed these together, then added the toasted oats and mixed them up)

Added all the sauteed ingredients, mixed them up well, shaped them into 6 patties, and sauteed them in butter, I ate one and refrigerated the rest.

Toasted some whole wheat bread, threw on some spinach, and topped it with a little mustard, made a great early dinner.

Next time I think I'm going to add some more crushed peppers, or maybe a couple dashes of tapatio, for a little kick. I was also thinking that some pine nuts would go really well in them, maybe some brown rice as well. I'm also thinking it'd be nice to have them hold together a little better (though they did okay) and add an egg.

Loved the combo of the brown rice and tofu though, and the oats added a great flavor AND texture element.

I have half a package of tofu left, and a bunch of beans/oats, so I might make another batch and tweak things a little bit next week. I also just washed all of my dishes (they had been piling up) and my kitchen is much more zen.

next step: tackle my room, very much NOT zen.

Just thought I would share what I'm eatin' these days.

I also found an easy recipe for crepes made with bisquick, I'm thinking about making those for brunch on Sunday.

PEACE

p.s. I think my ex may have turned into a woo girl. woo.

1 comment:

  1. what is a woo girl?

    i did not see brown rice in that recipe...but it sounds really amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete